A genetic counsellor is trained in genetics and genetic counselling. To learn about your family medical history, he or she asks you many questions about your personal medical history and your family’s health history.
A genetic counsellor may tell you about:
· Your risk of certain genes or conditions
· The choices you have about whether to get genetic testing
· Your chances of passing a genetic disorder to your children
· The options and risks of genetic testing for you, a family member or an unborn child
· The benefits of telling your family about an inherited disorder
· How inherited disorders may affect you and your family