Minimally Invasive Gynaecologic Surgery
Surgeons work together to perform a minimally invasive gynaecologic surgical procedure, a technique that has been shown to lessen pain and shorten recovery time.
Gynaecologists trained in minimally invasive gynaecologic surgery specialize in evaluating and treating women who have a wide range of noncancerous (benign) gynaecologic conditions, including heavy menstrual periods (menorrhagia), irregular menstrual periods (metrorrhagia), pelvic pain, endometriosis and ovarian cysts.
Your care is provided either in the exam room or within outpatient surgical suites. No matter the setting, a minimally invasive approach has been shown to improve outcomes and reduce discomfort, inconvenience and expense.
Innovative treatment options
Your doctor will talk with you about a range of innovative treatment options and develop an individualized treatment plan that may involve one of these minimally invasive gynaecologic approaches:
• Hysteroscopic surgery. This technique does not require any incisions and has minimal recovery time.
• Advanced laparoscopic surgery. This technique has been shown to be an effective treatment that results in shorter hospital stays, less discomfort and a shorter recovery period.
• Robotic surgery. This approach has the same advantages as advanced laparoscopy, and it allows surgeons to operate with increased precision and accuracy while minimizing trauma to surrounding tissues.
• Vaginal surgery. This is the most minimally invasive approach to major gynaecologic surgery. It has all of the recovery advantages associated with laparoscopic and robotic surgery, while also avoiding any abdominal incisions.
Tests and procedures
Surgeons can perform many of these procedures on an outpatient basis:
• Cervical loop electrode excision procedure (LEEP) and conization
• CO-2 laser treatments of lower genital tract dysplasia
• Diagnostic and operative hysteroscopy
• Diagnostic and operative laparoscopy
• Endometrial ablation
• Hysteroscopic and laparoscopic sterilization
• Magnetic resonance focused ultrasound for treatment of uterine fibroids
• Surgical management of ectopic pregnancy
• Surgical management of missed or incomplete abortion
• Surgical treatment of endometriosis
• Surgical treatment of uterine fibroids
• Surgical management of congenital anomalies
• Surgical treatment of vulvar disorders
• Vaginal, laparoscopic, and robotic hysterectomy